
Most of my close friends and family know that I don't like birds. I'm not 100% where this intense dislike, and sometimes fear, originated from, but I do have a few ideas. When I was young my good friend Sarah's family had birds for pets. And I remember being in their house once when the birds were out of their cages, free to fly everywhere. I did not like it. Another time, my friend Sarah's sister (what is it with this family!? :)) was babysitting my brother and I and it was after our bedtime. As any kid would do when they have a babysitter, I sneaked down stairs to the TV room where she was watching the horror movie The Birds on TV. I was no older than 5.
The only birds that I like are birds in cages (and that's rare) or ducks. I've never met a bad duck. Geese yes, ducks, no. When birds are flying overhead, I cringe. I don't like going into bird aviaries. I hate seagulls and pigeons. I can't stand when I'm at the beach or somewhere eating outside and these horrible creatures crowd around begging for food. I hate that they jump on the table or walk under the table near my legs. And if you're with me and you laugh...I hate you too.
So yesterday as I was driving from work place #1 to work place #2 I saw hundreds (no, I am not exaggerating here) black birds flying together (not in formation) and sitting in trees. I saw this phenomenon for a few blocks. I don't drive in the country, folks. I was driving in the heart of the city. My life flashed before my eyes and as I sat at a red light, watching these birds soar in the sunset above my car, I was instantly back in that TV room, covering my eyes as the lady in The Birds was getting pecked at while she sought shelter in a phone booth. Which, as we know, did no good. Was I going to survive in my car?
I literally had to take a deep breath and focus on looking ahead and not at the birds. And after I passed this area, it was all clear. People, it was creepy. I've looked online to see if anyone else saw what I saw so that I could post actual pictures (reason #6,926 that I need to carry my camera with me at all times), but I could not find anything. But it's true. I did see it. I swear.
The only birds that I like are birds in cages (and that's rare) or ducks. I've never met a bad duck. Geese yes, ducks, no. When birds are flying overhead, I cringe. I don't like going into bird aviaries. I hate seagulls and pigeons. I can't stand when I'm at the beach or somewhere eating outside and these horrible creatures crowd around begging for food. I hate that they jump on the table or walk under the table near my legs. And if you're with me and you laugh...I hate you too.
So yesterday as I was driving from work place #1 to work place #2 I saw hundreds (no, I am not exaggerating here) black birds flying together (not in formation) and sitting in trees. I saw this phenomenon for a few blocks. I don't drive in the country, folks. I was driving in the heart of the city. My life flashed before my eyes and as I sat at a red light, watching these birds soar in the sunset above my car, I was instantly back in that TV room, covering my eyes as the lady in The Birds was getting pecked at while she sought shelter in a phone booth. Which, as we know, did no good. Was I going to survive in my car?
I literally had to take a deep breath and focus on looking ahead and not at the birds. And after I passed this area, it was all clear. People, it was creepy. I've looked online to see if anyone else saw what I saw so that I could post actual pictures (reason #6,926 that I need to carry my camera with me at all times), but I could not find anything. But it's true. I did see it. I swear.
10 comments:
Oh lady! So, Andrea is to blame for this? And Cuddles the bird?! Sadly, Cuddles died long ago, but I find it funny because Andrea is SO strict with what her girls can watch!! I was watching regular TV and she made me turn it!
I do agree though. Those birds (and the many we had over the years - Cuddles, Sweety, Wiggy, Budge, and...I'm missing one...Happy, Doopy and Doc maybe? Ha ha), were given too much freedom. I'm sorry we freaked you out!!! Crazy Bjorks.
If it makes you feel better, Budge couldn't tell a thumb from a female parakeet. Poor thing. He wasn't so smart. He also thought his bell was another bird.
SARAH - I need to do a whole blog on your family! Cause you and your porcelain dolls that circled your room, the upstairs bedroom that was "haunted" and the train that you would hear in the middle of the night has also freaked me out for life thinking about ghosts. And I thought that it was Amy that watched the movie, but I don't remember... :) I know that one other time when one of them was babysitting they watched the Exorsist! I came peeked in when the girl's head was turning around. No wonder I'm a mess!!! :_
OH - and I have another story - remember when we went to that lake house (I think that it has burned down down) on Long Lake? And your sisters brought friends and camped out, but we got to stay in the house? Well, I remember one of your sisters telling us that they did the "Bloody Mary" thing in the bathroom mirror and that she appeared. I can't be in a bathroom with the lights off and I can't be able to look at a mirror from my bed because of this...I can't believe that I even talk to you anymore... HA HA!
I am incredibly sorry that I laughed while reading your post, please don't hate me.
poor becky. I'm sorry you had such a scarring childhood. ;o) I can back you up, though. Here in good 'ol Michigan I have seen the same phenomanon. Hundreds and hundreds of birds. You're right. It is a little creepy. (and I"m not scared of birds)
But which do you like more?....birds or bats!?!?
Oh jeez! The Bjork's have given you waaaaaay to many phoebia's!!
But I am not kidding - I can NOT go into a bathroom without turning on the lights!!! I still think about Bloody Mary when I do that! That was Amy who did that. She still laughs about it. Tht cabin is gone now, and there is a new one in it's place. KB and Nancy were just there last weekend for a ski trip. In reality, they go up and ski once or twice, and then nap and read and eat the rest of the time. (Can I do that EVERY weekend?? Seriously!)
Mean sister, Amy!! It was probably her that did that, because she was so much more...daring/naughty/MEAN?...than Andrea! Ha ha. Just kidding.
And about the dolls...they are still in my room at home. Bob says that if I bring them to my place, I will be single, and probably stay that way. He says they are freaky (which I agree with now - shh! Don't tell!).
That room upstairs still freaks me out. No one ever stays there. Probably because its so cold in the winter and so hot in the summer, but I hate when I have to sleep there. It's odd...I haven't heard the trains for a long time. But I'm not there over night much.
I am sorry I freaked you out. But I was a very dramatic child. :-)
And yes, if I were you, I'd say the same thing! Why did I find the need to freak you out as a child?
My mom told me a story once where she had to put me into time out because I got very angry at you for not doing what I said. I guess (but I don't believe it) she heard me say "Becky, if you don't listen to me, I won't be your friend anymore."
And so Sarah went to time out.
In my defense, I was probably five. But 20+ years later, I am sorry :(
You deserved every time out you got. You were mean to me. Why was I friends with you? Ha ha! Just kidding. I'm sure that I was just as bossy! :) So, when are we going to hang out?
I probably did deserve each one :)
I'm always around, so call me when the remodeling is driving you nuts and you need coffee!!
Post a Comment