Dave and I were driving home the other day from Home Depot and we passed the "Knights of Columbus" hall. We pass by this place pretty regularly since we've started this home remodel project 2 years ago (I'll post pics soon. I promise!) and every time we pass this building, I think "What in the world is that place?". And I have to admit, because "Knights" is in the title I think "KKK", but I'm pretty sure that's not what it is...I hope.
So this time, instead of thinking "What in the world is that place?" I actually asked Dave. And he had no idea. This spurred a discussion of what are VFW's, Lion's Clubs, American Legions...etc. And I have to admit, we have no clue, except that they are affiliated with war veterans, right?. I know that in many small towns local gatherings (weddings, grad parties, etc) are held in the VFW and that the Lion's Club of White Bear Lake puts on a variety show every year, but that doesn't tell me who they are.
So, I plead with you, oh blogger friends, to help me answer this age-old question. What are these places?
3 comments:
ok....now you've got me thinking too...
I know the VFW is "Vertans of foreign wars"
(I'm seriously sick because it's after 10 and instead of going to bed, I'm googling these for you...)
Lion's club was started by a man named Melvin Jones and is just a "good will" type of organization. religon and politics are generally forbidden from their meetings. It's strictly community betterment.
American legion is a vetrans service orgainzation (VFW is more a club or hang out place, where this one is service geared)In addition to organizing commemorative events and volunteer activities, the American Legion is active in U.S. politics. Its primary political activity is lobbying for the interests of veterans, including support for veteran's benefits such as pensions and the Veterans Affairs hospital system.
and finally, the good 'ol Knights of Columbus. The Order of the Knights of Columbus is the world's largest Catholic fraternal service organization. Founded in the United States in 1882, it is named in honor of Christopher Columbusand dedicated to the principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism
sick. It's sick that I just wikipedia-ed those...but I'm reading this book where a guy is trying to completely read the Encyclopedia Britannica and I think it's kind of getting to me...
OH MY LANTA! I guess that I could have googled those...ha ha. Thanks so much for doing that instead of sleeping :) You are tooo kind! I am still laughing!
So, on another note, I was in Target tonight and saw a 2-pack of underwear. One pair had Snoopy on them and the other Woodstock. I almost bought them and sent you the Woodstock ones, but I dind't because I thought that I would have to take a picture of me in the Snoopy ones, just to show you that I got the other pair, and that would be too weird! I think that I just wrote too much :)
Snoop...you crack me up. When are you and your honey coming to visit us in MI?
Post a Comment