Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Four G's Later

Roto Rooter is at our house right now.

Dave watched a camera go down our drain and through our pipes.

We have some cracked pipes and corrosion about 50 feet from the house.

What does this mean?

This means that we need to dig up our front yard and fix the pipes so that we can use the water in our house. And this will cost approximately $4,000.

Yes, folks, FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS! I better pick up a few extra shifts waitressing.

I don't think that this has really hit me yet, because I keep making "crap" jokes. Maybe I am hoping that Mr. Rooter is wrong and that Dave will call me back and tell me that he was mistaken. But Dave did watch the images from the camera. He saw our plumbing with his own eyes.

Why didn't we buy new construction???

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh Beck! How horrible. I'm so sorry to hear it. You guys have a room at the Schoeb Inn whenever you need to run away!

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Hey Girl I can feel your pain. Zac and I had our own run in with a $4,000+ home plumbing issue. We too had to have our front yard dug up and part of the city street removed (for which WE were responsible for$$$). Water service was out for about a week - we stayed else where. Good luck and feel free to vent to me, I know your pain!

Mrs. Hawk said...

Libby,
Did you go through roto-rooter or someone else? I can't believe that the city is not somewhat responsible!! Especially when it's under THEIR street! Did your homeowners insurance cover anything? Did the whole process take days?

Right now we are staying at a friend's house, which is SO nice, but it's not my bed, you know? This is just so stinky *badump dump*.

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Hey Bec,

The whole thing took WEEKS (sorry). The city covered $1,000 we paid a little over $4,000. We used St. Paul Plumbing and Heating. Our homeowners did not cover it because our problem originated from a old tree root in the front yard - not an accident, just nature according to the insurance folks.

Sorry for the bad news. Call me if you want, you can get my number from mindy.

Felecia said...

Ouch. I'm so sorry to hear it. I don't know much about having to dig up a front yard for the fix. The only plumbing problems we've had had to do with a child's curiousity with jamming toilet paper into the bowl. A LOT OF TP. Just think of it as an opportunity to do some new landscaping.

((Sorry... silver linings are just a part of who I am))

Mrs. Hawk said...

Roto Rooter is at the house as I type and their plan is to have the whole thing done today. Unless the tree that is in the front yard starts to lean/fall-then we'll have to have that removed before they can continue. Our yard is marked up with green, blue and organge lines and flags. It's so weird! Hopefully everything will go well today. But, Libby-I should check into getting the city pay some of the bill. Was that hard to arrange?

Good Note-Dave got promoted yesterday, which means bigger pay checks! Yeah God!