Monday, May 22, 2006

It's Hard to Go Home

This weekend marked the 25th Anniversary of the church I grew up in - Grace Church Roseville. They were having a huge celebration, complete with free food, pictures and appearances from old staff. I dragged Dave along (what a great sport!) to this event.

I haven't gone to Grace since 1998. I left the church because I was going through the "I just turned 21 and I need to party and not go to church" stage in my life and then I stared dating someone and, knowing that my life really wasn't where it should have been, we didn't go to church regularly, and when we did start to go, it wasn't back to Grace. Then when my life was back on track (3 years later) I decided to go somewhere new - completely new for me.

It was so strange driving into the parking lot. Since 1998, they've torn down 4 houses that were on the property as offices and classrooms. Once house was called "Dellwood South". Man, there are so many memories from that place. This is where we held youth group for many years. It's hard to believe that it's simply pavement now.

They've added a new addition to the church - classrooms, offices (I think - I didn't explore too much) and a coffee shop. It was strange entering through this new addition. I didn't know where I was. Then, almost magically, we were in the Grace that I knew. It was such a strange feeling. It's been a long time since I was there, yet, it felt as though I never left. I still recongnized people - now much older than I remembered them. We walked through the halls, met my parents (who also attend elsewhere) who were talking to my old youth pastor, Phil. Memories just started to flood back. I looked around, subconsciously looking for Mindy, Emily, Carolyn, Kelly, Corey, Micah, Dan, Sara, Tim, Paul, Jake, Justin - all those that used to roam the halls with me, but then I saw Dave and knew that the people I was looking for haven't roamed these halls either for a long time.

The sanctuary/gym is the same. The music was less than desirable. Maybe that's why I left in the first place :). But we got through it. Then Pastor Call spoke. Pastor Call was the first senior pastor at Grace and was for MANY years. I actually left before him. Gosh, it was good to hear him talk again. Again, memories. Memories of NOT sitting with my parents, but sitting with the youth group - my peers and then those that I was a leader to. In fact, I sat behind the parents of a girl who was in my SMASH (students meeting and sharing hearts) group.

Then it was downstairs to Room 1 for lunch. I remebered the graduation banquets held there, the youth group activities and then I saw the kitchen, which is HUGE now. It's awesome, but where's the wall with the junior high mail boxes? Gone.

Back upstairs we went for the 25th Anniversary program. I heard stories from pastors of the past - they showed pictures of them from my hayday and now. They weren't supposed to change, in my mind, but they had. All their kids are grown up. With their own kids. Really?? I look over and sawsome youth walk in. I used to know all the senior and junior high kids. They are all gone now and in their place are their younger siblings - whom I never met. Weird.

All this to say that going home is sometimes hard. I loved Grace. I grew so much there in my faith. Honestly, Grace - the people - showed me God in such real ways. This is where I came to know Jesus. This is where my deepest friendships were. This place and these people were my life. It was hard to go back and know that it's been years and that many of the people I loved so dearly and shaped me I no longer know. That most of those that go there I don't know. Yet, it felt so good to be there. It felt like home.

I won't go back to Grace - maybe if Phil gets hired as senior pastor, I'll check it out again, but the music was horrible. I know that you don't pick a church based on music, but man, it was really bad and I don't know if I could handle it every week :), but I do know that Dave and I need to find a home. We like our church, but it's not home to us. Going back to Grace showed me that what I had there is something that I need now and in the future.

Okay - I have RAMBLED a lot! Time to go!

7 comments:

Mandi said...

Yes going home is painful sometimes....I feel the same way about many places where I was once involved. Part of me just can't bring myself to go back. Funny how we change and expect everyone else to remain the same! What qualifies music as "horrible"? Just curious :)

Mrs. Hawk said...

I will not comment on horrible music because I don't want to start a Harry Potter like post :)

Let's just say, not my style . . . at all and the music leader didn't lead, at all.

But the message was great, the people were great, and I am learning to be able to worship through things that aren't "my style".

Mandi said...

he he, you are right, I shouldn't have asked that question because undoubtedly such debate would ahve arisen, but e-mail me cuz I'd like to know :) Since I am the original debate causer, I promise not to react either way!

Mrs. Hawk said...

We're going to check out a church that meets in Richfield right now and for the summer is going to meet at the elementary school right by our house. I've heard good things - don't ask me the name, cause I don't know :). A girl I work with goes there and loves it.

Felecia said...

I love how you expressed your surprise that people around us change. Life does its best to lead us where it should then *BAM*; we realize that so much time is passing and the life we once knew seems 100 years gone (and the people we once knew seem to have aged so much).

Jes said...

You are right, leaving a church is always heard, but going back is even harder! Mike and I are in the looking process too ( have been forever). Finding a church that feels like "home" at this stage in life is hard.

Mindy said...

remember playing sardines during the jr high lock in? Remember playing ping pong and foose ball in Dellwood? Remember running around the lot chasing Tim Bruno of all people??? (Didn't we steal his shoe or something?)
I remember singing "Pharroh Pharroh" and Humble Thyself. I remember sitting together for Kelly and Corey's wedding. I remember when Emily broke her nose.
I remember the first time I walked into Dellwood. I even remember what I was wearing...Like somehow I knew it would be a life changing moment or something. I owe those years, in part, to you. Thanks.
And thanks for taking me back there with you through your words. Those were the days, weren't they??