Tonight, I believe, is a night for creativity. I'll say it again, slower. Crrreeeaaaattttiiiivvviiiittttyyy. Creativity! What has happened with this holiday? Tonight we had about 15 trick or treaters come to our door, and of these, there were maybe 3 really good costumes and 3 okay ones. The rest were horrible. One kid brought his skateboard. Hello? What kind of costume is that? Now, if I had my own world, with my own rules, I would only give out candy to those who deserved it. Those who put thought into thier costumes. Those that thought about what they were going to be and how they were going to execute those ideas. And those who came in their normal every day clothes, with say, a mask that they probably use every year, would get nothing. Nada. Maybe one piece - like Almond Joy or Mounds - the gross stuff (I am sincerely sorry if you like those). But you can't do that these days. If you don't give little Johnny candy one of three things will happen:
1) Johnny's mommy who thinks her son is perfect will come to your door and chew you out. That would be just great. Guess you won't be invited to her house for a BBQ next summer!
2) Little Johnny has friends - mean friends - and they will egg, or TP your house while you're sleeping. And more than likely, it will rain that night so now your lawn will be covered with wet toilet paper. Lovely.
3) Johnny will steal the candy that you gave to the other kid who did dress up.
It saddens me. Really. This holiday is becoming what the world is. Give to me, not because I did anything to earn it, but because I think I deserve it. Errrr.
When I was young (I'm still young, but I mean when it was OK for me to trick or treat), I had GREAT costumes! I was a punk girl once. I had purple hair, bangal braceletts up and down my arms, lots of makeup - I was great. I was a "senorita" (not PC, but oh well), a witch, a baby, a clown, Charlie Chaplin, and my all-time favorite costume was with Mindy. We went as a pair of dice. Priceless. It was great! If only I had a picture.
I think that the best costume this year goes to a little girl, about 18 months old, dressed as a chicken. That was the best. And the 3 year old firefighter and 18 month old frog are a close second. All you other non-creative folks - bah humbug on you.
4 comments:
I totally agree. We passed kids who had nothing on...what's up with that?? This was the first year that I've made all of the kids costumes....that took some thinking!
i agree as well. i was amazed at how many kids we saw with nothing but a mask on or a little make up....
it was unimpressive.
I make them say trick-or-treat. If they don't, I just stand there with the big basket of candy until they say something. it works well. :o)
Or how about those with the adorable costumes that their parents hide underneath a snowsuit? (Of course, that wasn't the case this year...) You see this darling little face painted, and a little bit of fur or something that appears to be fur poking out from under a hot pink ski jacket and snow pants. (Was she a cat?)
Post a Comment