Tuesday, March 18, 2008

We Really are in a Melting Pot

Dave and I went out for Chinese last night.

When we got to the restaurant all of the employees were wearing St. Patty things - shamrocks, glowing green necklaces around their necks, buttons, etc. "Wow, they are really getting in to the spirit here" we said to each other.

After we ordered our chicken chow mein and kung pau pork with a side of cream cheese puffs, I looked around and saw many of the patrons eating corned beef and cabbage. What restaurant are we in again?

We truly are living in a melting pot when you can go to a Chinese restaurant and order an Irish meal.

5 comments:

Mandi said...

Being Irish myself I detest corned beef and cabbage. Yet I gurdgingly eat it every year...I guess there are some things our heritage just demands. But that's hilarious they were eating that at a chinese restaurant!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I believe that's called capitalism.

Mrs. Hawk said...

Ahh, Kelly! You are right!

Rachel said...

That's hilarious. The best part is that you can't even get corned beef in Ireland. It's a completely American dish, enjoyed by those of Irish-American descent--check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef_and_cabbage

Happy St. Chinese Patrick's Day to you!

Jenny said...

that is funny! - found your blog through... oh I don't even know. Either kelly or rachel. Fellow minnesotan here. :)