Thursday, June 09, 2005

Pinch Me - I May Be Dreaming

Dave and I went shopping on Sunday. It was his idea (not completely unusual), and shopping didn't include Home Depot this time :). But it did include jean shopping (he needs a new pair and I do too. My favorite pair ripped and I had a GAP certificate for new jeans - where my favorite pair was from). So off we went. Although I have a gift certificate, it doesn't mean that I will find what I am looking for.

I hate jean shopping. I despise it. I usually start with a positive attitude, then by the end of the shopping experience I am in tears.
Reasons for the tears:
  • Last year's style (that I bought) was discontinued
  • The style I like is sold out
  • The store is closed
  • I gained weight, or as I like to the think - the size chart just got revamped (a size 6 is now a size 12)
We started out a Eddie Bauer. Dave found a pair he liked and I scanned the shelves. You never know what you can find. Over in the corner, I see a stack of jeans with the title "Natural - comes up a little higher in the butt, and lower in the front" - Okay, maybe that's not exactly what it said, but that's basically it. Whenever I try on jeans, I have to wear a belt because they totally stick out on my butt. The cuts are a little too low rise for me, so that's what happens. I don't want to wear "Grandma" jeans just so I don't have to wear a belt.
So I grabbed the jeans off the shelf, preparing myself for the inevitable; that they won't fit. I slip the jeans on, and the butt seems ok, but the real determining factor is how it fits once I zip them up. Slowly I zip and I can't believe my eyes! The jeans do not come up to my chest. The top of the jeans sit below my navel - really? Is this happening? Then I turn around to look at my butt. I am sure that the jeans have to be leaving a huge gap. But NO! The top of the jeans are actually touching my skin! I am amazed. This can't be true! I sit in them, squat in them, and then turn around again. This has never happened that I have liked the first pair of jeans that I have tried on. NEVER. So, I bought two pair.
Then we went to GAP, and wouldn't you know it, the jeans that I love weren't there in my size. Go figure. So I bought a bunch of cute shirts :)
PS) To my new Blog Buddies: Keep reading and replying! I've been peeking at yours for months now :)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Ahhh the woes of buying clothes. I love those moments when the shopping planets aligin and the sky parts to shine golden rays down apon exactly what you're looking for, in your size, favorite color, AND on sale!!!

I don't think the shopping planets are ever aligned for maternity clothes.

Mandi said...

Hi Becky,

I too have been peeking at your blog for a while now. I too despise shopping for clothes. They never make clothes that look good on me...ah well!

Felecia said...

Hi Becky and CONGRATS on your recent nuptials:) I strayed from my typical Blog routine this morning and found myself smiling at the recognition of your name on Mindy's links! Just wanted to say a quick hello and add that YES - SHOPPING FOR JEANS IS MISERABLE. I can only hope that the ripped jean look comes back soon and is appropriate for moms approaching their 30s. Oye.