Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day One is Over

So yesterday was my first day back to work in 12 weeks. I wanted to go to bed early so that I would be well rested. That didn't happen. I physically got in bed after eleven, read a little and then tossed and turned for about an hour. I finally fell asleep after 12:30 AM and around 3:15 AM I heard this noise...it sounded like...crying. What?!

Now, if you read my last post, you know that Nolan has been sleeping through the night for about 3 weeks now. Seriously, we've woken him up a few times because we thought that he was sleeping too long and we knew that the diaper he was wearing was going to be F-U-L-L!

Anyways, I did indeed hear crying. So both Dave and I got up. He changed Nolan's diaper while I made the bottle. Dave fed him and I went back to bed. But when Dave put him back in the crib he cried. And cried. So I got up. I rocked him, bounced him, rocked him, stuck the passie (or suckie or pacifier - we don't have a name for it yet) in his mouth and rocked him. Finally, around 4 AM he was asleep. I gently put him back down and those big blue eyes popped open and he smiled. I said "Goodnight, buddy. Go to sleep." I left the room and for the next 15 minutes he had a very in depth conversation with the animals on his bumper (no lectures, please. It will be removed once he actually moves in his crib).

But now I was awake and restless. The last time I remember looking at the clock was at 4:30 AM and I had to get up at 6:30 AM. My alarm goes off around 6:15 because I am a snooze button girl. But I did get up on time, showered, ate breakfast and got ready. Dave got Nolan ready and as we were heading out the door I cried. I cried because I was sad and because I was so blasted tired! But I had coffee in hand so that made everything a bit better.

We got to Linda's on time and her little guy, Jonah, ran up to the door and yelled "Hi Nolan!" He's so excited to have Nolan around. After chit-chatting I kissed Nolan goodbye and got in my car. My phone was ringing and it was my mom. She helped me get to work with very few tears. When I arrived to work it felt as though I never really left. I got organized, toured the office (some areas moved around) and got to work. Everything felt like normal, except for when I would look at the pictures of Nolan that I posted above my computer screen. When I looked at his smiling little face my heart would ache a little. But I got through the day without crying at all and only one phone call to see how he was doing. He did just fine! He even took two 2 hour naps. He hasn't done that with me for awhile!! I think that her little guy wore him out!

That night Dave and I watched a movie (Dejavu - it's good. You should watch it) and instead of putting Nolan to sleep in his bed I held him in my arms during the movie. I guess I just wanted to make up for the day. So day one is over. It's going to be a hard for while, but I'm sure it'll get easier, right? On Monday Dave is actually staying home and taking care of him. He'll be at Linda's Tuesday and Wednesday, home with me on Thursdays (like he will be every week) and then I have Friday and Monday off for Labor Day weekend. I'm grateful, because it will make the transition easier. I hope.

Anyways, I took another video of Nolan. This is him talking away. Ignore me. :)

3 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I can't speak to your situation, Becky, since I've never been in it. But I do know that little guy of yours is adorable. I'm praying God will continue giving you peace and even joy about your situation.

By the way, all my babies slept through the night from an early age (usually 4-6 weeks). But then they started waking up around 4 months, and by 6 months, they were up multiple times each night. Each baby is so unique with that. I think that's the hardest part of parenting a newborn -- the constant change. Just when you think you've got them figured out....

Kari Smith said...

That video is PRECIOUS!!! It was so great to meet your little man today!

Jes said...

He is too cute! I hadn't heard the whole story of your first day back to work and didn't realize what a crazy night you had the night before....glad you made it through that first day and now you're almost two months in! Way to go!