Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Betty Crockers of the World, Lend Me a Hand

If you looked outside my window right now you would say that it looks like November. It's overcast. It's cloudy. It's just plain old dreary (except for the little baby buds on trees - blossom now, will you!!!).

As I sit here and think about summer and food (two things that I love!) I realized that I really do not have any good summer recipes. And I know that some of you do. Last year I got an amazing Cajun burger recipe from Kelly at Love Well and friends, I need more.

Would you take a few minutes to leave a comment with your favorite summer recipe? I would really appreciate it and I'm sure other readers would too! It's a recipe exchange over the blogging world instead of (gasp) paper letters or e-mail!

4 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Ah yes. The Cajun Turkey Burgers. I should probably put our last name in front of them. (Actually, that would work in the blogosphere. "The Loved Well Cajun Turkey Burgers.")

Here's another summertime classic from me to you. (I always wanted to be a DJ.) Corey loves this one.

HONEY SWEET CHICKEN AND VEGGIE KABOBS

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ginger

2 red bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
1-1/2 cups whole mushrooms
1-1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

In a resealable plastic bag, combine all ingredients for sauce. Add veggies and chicken. Marinate in fridge for 4-24 hours.
Place on skewers and grill.

Mandi said...

I don't have a meal recipe but I do have the very best ever marinade recipe. Here it is....

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP oil
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP worschester sause
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
dash of garlic powder
Whisk together and pour over meat. Marinade for 2-4 hours or overnight

This is so great on steak or pork! Enjoy!

LaDonna said...

I just actually blogged that clubhouse chicken square recipe...check it out:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky

My favourite Summer recipe is called "Peach of a Treat Cream Pie". It came from your grandmother and was published in 1959! It also won a ribbon at the county fair.
Stace makes it for me now and it is just as good as I remember. I'll send you a copy of the original, but her it is.

1 Baked pastry shell (she later changed this to a cold graham cracker crust)

1/4 cup of milk
18 marshmallows
1 cup whipping cream
6 or 8 fresh peaches

Melt the 18 marshmallows in 1/4 cup of milk. Allow to cool while you pare and slice 6 or 8 peaches. Whip one cup of cream and fold all together. Upset this mixture any way you see fit into your nice crisp crust and place in refrigerator to set and chill a couple of hours.
Naturally this dessert is at its best when it follows a turkey dinner!