Monday, April 21, 2008

Surreal

This is the only word that I can use to describe what has happened in Dave and my life the past couple of months. A week ago last Friday I experienced something that I never thought that I would go through, although logically and statistically, it's not a rare occurrence. Dave and I lost our first baby.

It seems like just yesterday I came home from my waitressing job with a pregnancy test from Target. I was three days late (and I'm never late). As I said to Dave while holding the box, "I just need to know so that I'll sleep better". When those two pink lines quickly appeared, I knew that sleep would be far from the truth that night. When I went back to the basement to tell Dave the news I had no idea what I was thinking or feeling. Dave just looked at me and said "What do you think?" I said "I don't know" and he said, "Well, I'm happy." Then I just started to cry because I was happy to.
It's not like we were completely surprised that we were pregnant (OK - I need to interject here one thing. I always thought it was dumb when people would say "we're pregnant!". I was like (in my head), "We? - um, you - the woman - you are pregnant. Not that dear husband of yours." But I have to admit, when it happened we said "we" and it didn't bother me, because I guess, it's the truth) because we had "pulled the goalie" as some of our friends say, but we were surprised that it happened so quickly. We thought that maybe it would take some time, but it didn't. This pregnancy thing was brand new to us. Sure, we have friends who have kids, and we have nephews, but for us - we were going to be parents - holy crap! The next day Dave was on Amazon.com buying "What to Expect When You're Expecting", "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" and "So My Boys Can Swim".

We waited until we were 8 weeks along to tell our families. We gave them this picture in a frame:

It was so great seeing the reactions from everyone! My grandpa opened the gift and squinted at the picture as he read out loud "What to Expect When You're - OH! Are you?" My mom cried and Dave's mom said over and over again "This is exciting news!". It was wonderful. We started to tell some close friends who were equally excited - they were ready for us to join their life stage.

Then, on Friday, April 11th things weren't right. I made an appointment at the clinic for an ultrasound and a examination. I left work at 11:30 and picked Dave up because we couldn't be at our jobs until the 3:45 appointment. During the ultrasound we were told that there was no heartbeat and that the baby was only developed at 6 weeks and 5 days. I was 9 weeks along on April 11th.

My doctor confirmed the results and we talked about options and sadness and grief and hope. We tentatively scheduled a D&C for that Monday, but my body didn't want to wait for that. So on Saturday, around 10 AM, my baby was removed from my body at the ER.

And now, it's over a week later and it's hard to believe that I was pregnant. Physically, my body is back to normal. And life - well it goes on and normalcy returns as well. I'm working and we're working on the basement and we make dinner and watch TV and rake the yard. Waves of sadness wash over me from time to time - and it does for Dave too. As fast as this pregnancy happened, it ended just as quickly.

Dave and I trust in the Lord. We may not understand why us, why this baby, but we trust in Him and know that we'll be OK. We are feeling and thinking so many different things right now. But the best word to describe it is, really, "surreal".

I'm sad that I won't be able to hold this baby in my arms in November. I'm sad that I won't see him or her smile, or take his/her first steps, hear him/her laugh and the list goes on and on. But what I do find comfort in is that this baby has a soul and is with Jesus now. This brings me comfort and hope.

10 comments:

Shurson Family said...

I am so sorry Becky! Your description was so amazingly written and shows how truly strong you are. Good things will come to you I am sure of it. Love and prayers, Melissa

Kelly @ Love Well said...

My heart aches for you, Becky. I've been praying for you and Dave ever since I heard the disappointing news.

May God bless the surreal in your hearts and spirits. Like you said, we grieve with hope.

(And feel free to call sometime if you want to talk. I've been there too.)

Mandi said...

Tears are rolling down my face as I read this...I have no words Becky. I've never experienced this so I cannot tell you that I understand. What I do know is that we serve a sovreign God who loves us completely. I pray that you will feel His embrace and His peace during this season of your life.

Jes said...

I see God in you and Dave through this...the way you both have handled this difficult time and have been able to say that you trust the Lord's plans is an amazing testimony. We will continue though to be in prayer for you guys as you continue to heal. Love you!

Lean & Green Mama said...

Words can sometimes be so healing Becky - and I think writing out your story is part of the healing you are going through. My heart has ridden the rollercoaster of joy and sorrow with you and Dave these last few weeks AND my heart has been blessed and touched by your perspective in the midst of difficulties. You are a wonderful friend and I know God is cradling your baby today. I love you!

Krista said...

Becky - I was shocked and saddened to hear of your news. It was one year and 27 days ago that I too went through this, so I'm here for you if you need anything. My take on it was that "a higher power" knew something wasn't right and that it just wasn't the right time. I found comfort in that thought as I grieved and I know your beliefs will help keep you strong too. I love you!

LaDonna said...

Becky I am so sorry to hear this...God is already using you through this by sharing this story, I will be praying for you and Dave. love ya girl

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Becky, I have retyped this message several time. I just can't find words. You and Dave are in our thoughts and prayers. You are a strong women with a strong faith and a wonderful husband, I know you will find a peace in this.

Anonymous said...

First I saw the picture, then I read the your story. Tears filled my eyes. Your story was so poignant and beautifully written. It is crazy how life go's on when your world stops. I can completely understand that feeling. May God bless you and Dave and make your marriage that much more rich, deep, and strong.- Kimberly H.

Jax said...

I love you Becky, and though no words can soften the pain, I admire your strength and faith. This story is so well-written - it takes courage and strength just to tell it like you did. God is with you, holding you, Dave, and your baby. Keep a hold on that God-given strength, and allow Him to give you peace when you need it, too. It is the tough things that grow a marriage the most, and I know this will only bring you and Dave closer together.

Hugs!