Monday, September 12, 2005

So this is what it means

when they say "In sickness and in health". Last Wednesday night was our 2nd night of co-ed softball. During the second game in an inning that we just couldn't seem to get out of, Dave went to catch a foul ball that would give us the out to get out of the inning. As he was running to catch the ball, the batter was running to first base - Dave didn't want to hit him, so he sped up. The problem with this was that his upper body moved forward, but his legs just didn't keep up. He fell hard on his left leg, rolled over and started to scream in pain. After about five minutes he was able to walk off the field, but then his leg began to swell and when he stood up he was in a lot of pain, and couldn't walk. He decided to go to the ER. Dave got to the ER around 10:30 (thanks Amy!!) and I arrived a few minutes later. He got into a room at about 11:30. The doctor checked him out and didn't think that it was anything serious but wanted him to get a x-ray to be sure. After the x-ray the doctor came in and told us that he actually broke his fibula. Yup, his first broken bone. It's a neat break so the doctor didn't feel that he needed a cast or surgery. They put his leg in one of those braces that you wear over your clothes from almost your hip to your ankel. At about 1 AM with the brace, crutches and a perscription we headed home. Today, Dave had an appiointment at the orthopedic office today. The doctor decided that Dave didn't need a cast and that he doesn't need to wear the brace - but should definitely use his crutches when in public so that people know he's injured. He was even told to put a little pressure on it. He should be good to go in 6 weeks, but feeling better before then. He wants Dave to get an MRI just to make sure that the tendons and ligiments are ok - so that's our Friday night fun! Then next week he'll have a follow-up appt.

Dave drives a stick and he can't drive his car with his leg like this. He just can't put that kind of pressure on it. We would switch cars, but I can't drive a stick (apparently my brother can't believe that and will probably make me learn). All of this makes me the sole driver. Looks like I will be taking him to work everyday, which isn't really out of the way, so that's good. Normally he takes the bus, but it's about a 2 block walk from the stop to the office.

It's been interesting, that's for sure. Dave can't stand right now in the shower so he takes baths. Thank goodness he's not getting a cast! And I am doing pretty much everything around the house, which is fine. He would do the same if it were me. The only thing that worries me now is that the grass is getting long - and I know that you aren't going to believe this - but I have never mowed. Never. I have four brothers that I lived with. Why would I cut the grass :) So, let's pray for a miracle - that my mom comes over and mowes! Ha ha!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Becky, reading your blog reminded me of when Scarlett goes back to Tara after the war and has to roll up her sleeves and run the farm. You can do it! (and you won't have to have Mammy make you clothes out of drapes!) As for mowing, I'm the official mower of our household due to Jayson's alergies. The Dr. told him if he did it he would have to wear a mask and strip down in the garage and have me collect and wash his clothes immediately. Since I actually kind of like mowing, and I hate doing wash, this was a great trade off! Try mowing, you just might like the time to think and be outside (and it counts as a workout in my book!)