Wednesday, August 24, 2005

95! 95! 9999-95!

Does that take you back? Class of 95 pride. Hard to believe that last Saturday night I went to my 10 year high school reunion. And I have to say, I was a little disappointed. It was nothing like Romy and Michelle's reunion :). For the most part, the people I expected to be there were there. I was hoping to see a few other people from back in the day, and I thought that they would have been there, but they weren't. So that was a little disappointing.

I have to say, it wasn't the best evening. I hardly talked to anyone. Dave and I stuck together (for those of you who don't know - we went to high school together, were not friends, and remet 7 years after graduation-(we graduated the same year)- and were married 2.5 years after that). I think the best part was when a fellow classmate said "Nice to meet you." I was with Dave, and he saw that we were married. Apparently, he didn't think that I went to the school. That's okay, we only had to hold hands during the graduation ceremony (there was a speech by Missy and she told everyone to hold hands - she wasn't there either on Saturday). Many girls there were pregnant, and really pregnant! The guys all looked pretty good. Finally filled out and grew into their skin. It was neat to see everyone - and I mean see, cause I really didn't talk :) But it was funny I guess, that people were hanging with the group that they did in high school. I guess that I thought people would branch out more, say hi to those they didn't really talk to. But then again, I didn't, so why would I expect others to do that. I wish I would have said hi to a few more people, but at the same time, I didn't really want to do the small talk thing, and I don't have any kids to brag about - that would ensure that the conversation would last a least a few minutes longer :).

It made me sad to be there. Sad that I wasn't more involved in high school. Sad that I didn't grow up with all of them. I transferred to this school in 9th grade, and I think that is one reason why I don't know a lot of people and they don't know me. I just felt sad.

But as I sat there, people watching, I realized that most of my good high school friends weren't from high school, they were from my youth group. My three really good school friends, Krista, Erin and Amber (who I still talk to and consider great friends) weren't there on Saturday. And the two others that I was good friends with at school, Jason and Andy, who I don't talk with now, weren't there either. It would have been fun to see them - side note, I did see Jason back in the winter for the first time in 6 years. It was neat to see him, but I really haven't talked to him since. But you know, I am glad that I still am in contact with the three girls and that I didn't have to wait 10 years to see them again. I see and talk to them now, and have for the last 10 years, and that's wonderful.

Most of my good friends were from Grace Church: Emily, Mindy, Carolyn, Sara, Kara, Leanne, Nate, Tim, Dan, Micah . . . and the list goes on. I wish that I could say that we are all super tight and hang out all the time, but as time went on, our paths directed us in different ways. But, I am happy to say that I still talk to Emily and Mindy pretty regularly, and Carolyn, Sara, Leanne and Kara here and there, which is awesome. All are true friends, just like Erin, Krista and Amber.

The reunion may have been a waste of money, but it made me think of my friends that I have now, and had over time, and how much I appreciate them. I think to the friends of past and all those memories and I think of my friends now and am so thankful that they are in my life. And I think about my husband and how much I love him.

So yeah, it was a weird night. I'm glad that I went with Dave and our friends Cory and Charlotte. Cory went to school with us, and I wasn't friends with him them, but am good friends now. Weird how life works at times. So I'm closing that chapter and moving on. Maybe I'll be at the 20 year. Maybe not :)

6 comments:

Mindy said...

I can't imagine going back for my reunion...maybe I would think about it if I lived in MN, but I've spent 10 years (and 7 moves!) trying to make them lose my address. I guess it's not that I didn't like highschool, but the friends I had there were either ahead or behind me, and I'm not really anxious to find out whatever happend to Sara Prigge or Scott Cone, you know?
I agree with you, my friends are you guys, the ones I still talk to now, who I went to youth group with. I don't want to revisit high school so much...I'm just glad I lived through it.
But reading your blog made me appreciate you and our friendship and how it's endured. We've been friends for 18 years. That's a whole other adult! and to me, worth so much more than information about how Monica Knudson looks or what she's doing these days.
I love you Snoopy!

Mrs. Hawk said...

Ahhh, Woodstock, how are ya? I miss ya girl. Seriously, when I think back to high school, names come to mind and I can't remember if they were from NSP or WBL. The names your wrote brought back some memories! Haha. I can't believe we've been friends that long. CRAZY! We have a ton of memories, remembe? I can't believe you're having a him and I hope you haven't poked your stick with an eye lately :) Call me someday, my friend, and we'll catch up. NKOTB forever! HA HA!

Felecia said...

NKOTB..."No Knowledge Of This Band" ha ha ha

As a WBL transplant myself (8th grade) I relate to not recalling certain names or their points of origin. I seem to remember whether or not they were likable, however! (Scott Cone = BAD. Cory James = GOOD!)

I really wish we had been able to run into you two on Saturday. Andy and I always had each other in high school, so we were never part of a big group. I would have had more fun seeing how married life is treating you guys.

So here's to us! The people who refused to shriek: "OMIGOSH! I TOTALLY CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S YOU!!!"

Mrs. Hawk said...

Felecia, I think that my favorite line was said by Jeff Ryan with beer in hand and raised voice (note-this is when we decided to leave)"White Bear Lake Class of 95 was the BEST CLASS EVER to graduate from White Bear!" Yeah, it was time to leave.

I forgot, but not really forgot, that you went to John Glenn too. Scott Cone=bad and there were a few others if I recall. Do you guys (Felecia & Mindy) remember Nick, dang! I forgot his last name, but when he would blow his nose he was asked to leave the room. Poor guy. What ever happened to him, or Mike Mooney or Jesse Prax? The names are flowing now!

If you're ever in the Bloomington area and would like to get together for dinner, let me know. I think that it would be fun to catch up with you and Andy.

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Hi Girls,

You can NEVER repeat this but Jesse Prax is a "client" for one of the guys I work for ;)

P.S. Our class (93) never even bothered to have a reunion.

Felecia said...

The best ever, eh? I didn't realize I had so much to live up to! I'm pretty sure we left when poor Merideth Swanson fell flat on her face (but maraculously didn't spill a drop of her beer!) OYE.

John Glenn - ahhh... remember folks such as Scott Tjrepanior (eek), Aaron Kapaun (major crush on that one) and the ever cootie-filled Bill Miller (BLARF).

I would love to catch up with you guys!