Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Side Ponytails and Rolled Jeans

Is what I should have worn last night to the New Kids on the Block concert. But I didn't. I just dug out an old NKOTB t-shirt from my pre-teen years in my memory box. It smelled a little musty, but after a bit of Febreze all was good.

But there were people all dolled up in their 1980s gear. And some, I had to question if they 1) still wear that now and 2) If it was actually a current fashion that just fit in (I am so not okay with it coming back). At my first NKOTB concert my friend Mindy and I wore blazers. Yeah, we were so hot.

Of the 13,000 people that were there, 12,990 were 30 somethings (when did I become a TV show!), 6 were kids of fans and 4 were men. I felt bad for those guys, but I bet they'll be rewarded by their women! I have never been to a concert with all of my peers, even when I wen to NKOTB concerts as a young girl moms were there! The ladies were crazy. Screaming (I couldn't hear until this am) dancing with a beer or other alcoholic beverage in one hand and the other arm draped across their best girlfriend. It was fun.

I have to say the "kids" are all grown up now. As evident in their appearance and dance moves - whoa! I'm glad my mom wasn't there to see some of those moves. But they didn't disappoint. They did their classic dances to "The Right Stuff" and well, they did that move a lot throughout the night. I think that the funniest moment for me was when Jordan was the only one on the stage, shirt wide open, blowing in the wind fan singing "Baby I Believe in You" just like back in the day. I laughed out loud.

The part I am most sad about, however, is that my heart didn't flutter like it did when I was 13 when Jon came out on the stage. He was my true love then. He would be the only person I would watch at concerts. We were destined to be together, which is so apparent now that I am happily married to Mr. Hawk. :)

Am I glad that I went. Absolutely. Would I do it again? Not for another 15 years! Ha ha. They'll be the "Geriatrics on the Block" them. The night brought back so many memories (missed ya, Mindy!).

To read more (and is quite accurate to what the night was like) click here.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

I laughed so hard at this! How we cling to our memories!!! LOL

Lizzie said...

oh the good old days. did you deliver my letter to danny i think it was. you know the one i wrote when i was like 2 or something... maybe he will call me now!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

You are SO STINKIN' funny.

Did you see my post recently about hearing '80s music in the grocery store? Sigh.