President's Day. Simply known as one of the many "bank holidays" in our house because it's a day that everyone else has to work except for those who work at a bank (and at the postoffice, for the government, for schools, etc. But that's too long to say!). I actually get some bank holidays off at my work. It's great! Normally I would fill my day with chores around the house or picking up some hours at the restaurant. But not this time.
I told Mr. Hawk to take the day off a few weeks ago because right now he is doing nothing at work. Really, I'm not lying. Nothing. He spends his days googling, looking things up on wikipedia (did you know that Valentine's Day is also one of the winners from Survivor's birthday?), and figuring out how to build a poker table for a tournament that he wants to host after the basement is finished. He even asked me to be the hostess. Isn't that incredibly sweet? Riiiigggghhhttt. I told him that if I can get paid and make tips that I would consider it. And what's with boys and poker anyways?
I digress...back to the holiday. So, instead of having a big Valentine's Day we spent the day together yesterday. It was so good! We had a great time. We slept in a little, worked out (okay, not my idea of a great V-day event, but I gotta get the discount for going 8 times this month!), and then we went to Como Park to walk around the conservatory. It was wonderful! Yesterday, the air temp was just above zero, so walking around lush plants in a humid area was wonderful. It smelt like summer. I loved it.
Afterwards we went and saw the movie Juno. I really liked it. Dave did not. But, I got the tickets for free for working so hard at Byerly's, so I got to pick what to see. It's a little crude, but funny and sad and I don't know, I just liked it. After that it was California Pizza Kitchen for dinner and back to the house to watch more James Bond (a post for a later time) and sleep.
And actually, this whole weekend was play for me. On Friday we hung out with some of my family to play games (we did laundry since we've been washer and dryer free since November), on Saturday I had breakfast with the old roomies and had dear friends over for dinner. On Sunday, we went to Bedside Baptist Church and the MN Wild Hockey game that night. Phew! What a weekend!
And now it's Tuesday, although it feels like Monday, but the good thing is Friday is only 3 days away!
5 comments:
You must go read James Lileks' take on President's Day. That man is a HOOT.
Glad you had fun. We had fun too, since it was 65 degrees. What's not to love?
P.S. Lileks writes at buzz.mn. Scroll down to Monday's updates.
So glad to hear that you guys had a great day!
Sounds like a bankable holiday!
Why did I think that you lived in California? Did you live there recently?
Nope, not in CA...never have been. Never want to (no offense to all my Cali friends!). Right here in the southern suburbs.
Post a Comment