Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Hello, HGTV? Do you need a house for one of your shows? I got one for you."

I sit here blogging while Mr. Hawk is building our basement. Yes, I did help a little, but it took everything I had to help him. Every fiber in me was fighting against it. I did not want to help tonight. I worked late and just wanted to veg in front of the TV. Watch a little Survivor, watch the rest of Karate Kid (yup, the one from the 80's. You know, it's actually still good in 2008!), maybe take a bath and definitely go to bed early!

But no, dear Mr. Hawk wanted me to help. I whined. I whined some more. I threw on my grubby clothes and helped a little (all the while whining...like 4 year old kid whining. I almost stomped my feet in protest - OK, I did stomp, but just a little!). But my time is done...for now...until he calls me back to hold a wall in place while he hammers it into the floor.

We've been working on this house since August 2004. I am ready to be done. Ready. We're both ready. I have, I'll be honest, thought about looking into home improvement shows to see if they'll finish our house. Maybe we can stage a "While You Were Out" (is that on anymore?). Or, maybe I can make some money on this adventure - maybe I can find a sponsor and start a new TV show called "How to remodel your house in 4 short years!" Do you think that it'll fly?

*Exhale*. Well, I mean the good thing is that we've really improved this house. It was a dump when we got it. But I will tell you this - and all my readers out there hold me to it - I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN! Never. If we move - if - then I'm getting a new or slightly used home. But the truth is, in a few short months, we should be almost done with the inside. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope that the light stays on! :)

Here are some pics! Remember, pictures don't show everything...like the hundreds of dead Box elders in the wall by the desk, the 2x2 studs, the foam insulation, the dirty walls and disinigrating ceiling tiles, etc...

Before:


A little bit after demolition (my dad has a great picture of Dave and I with the pile of everything we tore out...I gotta get it from him and I'll post it when I do!):

Where we are now:And a picture of where I would rather be right now! Bondi Beach, Australia! :)

4 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

But it will be worth it in the end. And you're learning a ton, right?

Right?!?

Jes said...

You guys are so clsoe to the end....You can do it!!!!!!!

Shurson Family said...

Hey Becky! I just ran across your blog and spent about an hour reading what's been going on in your life!! Looks like you are doing well and good luck with your house remodeling!! Love, Melissa

Rachel said...

I feel you pain!! I feel your pain! Oh, consider yourself hugged.