Monday, July 03, 2006

Do I dare write it . . . "Harry Potter"?

I'm taking a gamble here and writing about Harry Potter. I wonder if I should because I remember when Mandi wrote about Harry Potter . . .

Anyways. Yesterday, Dave and I spent the WHOLE day at his sister and brother-in-law's house watch all the Harry Potter movies. We started around 9:45 AM and ended at 9:30 PM. Yes, a full day of HP.

I haven't read any of the books. This was the first time seeing any of the movies. And I enjoyed them. I really did. I'm not going to go out and read the books (because I have so many others that I want to read), but I will go and see the next movie. If they stop making the movies, then I will have to read the remaining books just to see how the story ends.

But here's why I am hesitant to write . . . wow! I don't know if I would let my children watch them. I'm not concerned with the Christian argument here. Just the fear factor. I have a good friend that I wouldn't let watch them because she would have nightmares! These movies are well made and quite freaky! I dreamt about HP all night (could be because that's all that I thought about all day) and some parts of my dreams were a little scary. I can't imagine watching these as a kid and being ok. I read some scary books in junior high (which I wish I hadn't - they seriously messed with me), but knowing that younger kids read these - wow. I just don't know. Now, this is my personal opinion.

I hate dark bathrooms. When I was little, I went to the cabin with my friend Sarah. Her sisters had a bunch of friends come up and camp on the land. I remember one morning them telling us that they went in the bathroom and repeated "Bloody Mary" in the mirror and she appeared. This story FREAKED me out! To this day I cannot go in a bathroom without turning the light on first and I don't really like mirrors. If I can see in a mirror when laying in bed, I have to sleep looking the other direction. Also, I hate the thought of ghosts. I really don't like anything that could be demonic. I would never live in a house that is haunted. I can't stay in hotels that are haunted. It seriously freaks the CRAP out of me. So, combine a ghost in a bathroom and your going to scare the living daylights out of me. And her voice . . . okay, I need to stop writing about it because I may have to stay late tonight at work, which means that I may be the last one here, in this old building.

Anyways, HP was enjoyable to watch and I'll be at the local theater the next time around.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

The bloody mary thing got me too... although I am now able to be in a dark bathroom, I refuse to utter bloody mary 3 times... just in case. :D

Mandi said...

First of all, your blog...you get to write about whatever you'd like :) Yes, it was me that originated all the drama about HP....ah well. The movies are quite enjoyable and I always wondered when we went to see them in theater(we always go on oopening night) why people are bringing their children?!?!?!?! They are quite intense, especially the 4th one. But Matt and I enjoy them as well :)

Mrs. Hawk said...

Melissa - I have NEVER said the phrase in the bathroom. I refuse just in case something does appear!

Mandi - Yeah, I know I can write what I want, but you just never know the comments that you are going to get :). I agree. Great movies, yet pretty intense.

Mindy said...

I liked the movies too. Although I wait until the "small screen" to see them. And I'm right with you on the book thing, but I think the way the movies make money we'll probably get to see the end on the screen.
OH, and I MISS YOU!!! Plan a trip out to MI, ok? We can camp or something. CALL ME!

adventuregrl said...

Hey Becky - I totally am with you on the Bloody Mary thing too - I remember doing that with my friends in like 3rd grade and to this day - as a 31 year old woman, I cannot look into the mirror if the room is dark. It is crazy how things from our youth can really mess with our heads!

Jes said...

Haha...This must have been one of those things that EVERY single kids/girl did as a kid. And yes, like Holly I am scarred and scared for life of bathroom mirrors in the dark. I just watched one of the Harry Potter movies the other day for the first time. I have to agree, it was scary...but I really enjoyed it!