So I've started my second job... again. For the past four years I have worked at B... (a glorified grocery store complete with liquor store, carpet, chandeliers, cooking school, bank, gift shop and restaurant) in the restaurant for my second job. For the most part, it's been a good experience. Let's be honest, when I worked, I ran the shifts, although I allowed the managers to believe that they were :). Until I got engaged I never saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I figured that I would be working there forever. Once Dave proposed, not only did I start counting down the days to the wedding, but secretly I started counting down the to the day that I could put in my two-week notice. I didn't want to be married and working two jobs. I knew that Dave and I could make it work on our salaries combined (I'm thankful that he has a good job). So we get married, go to Italy, and then I work about 2 more shifts, declare that I can't do it anymore and put my two week notice in. Now, six months later I am back. Yes, back.
There's this Christian holiday that happens every year that has been so commercialized that "Keeping up with the Joneses" is pretty much a thorn in my side. Christmas. I LOVE Christmas! I love decorating. I love the carols. I love the holiday movies. Christmas cards, cookies, parties - I love it all! I even love to shop and buy gifts for my family and friends. Here is where the problem lies - all of this costs money. Oh, I've thought that I would make gifts for people to save money - but that still means that I have to buy the materials and take the time to actually make the gift. But time? Who has time? I hardly have enough time to shop and wrap the gift, decorate, plan the party, make the cookies (or buy), make the Christmas cards - ahhh. But it's CHRISTMAS! I have to do this because I LOVE to do this! Really, I do! So this brings me back to B's.
Dave and I have some debt - wedding debt, honeymoon debt, school loans, mortgage, car payments and poor decision debt (i.e. impulse purchases using our dear ol' friends Visa and Mastercard). And on top of all of that, we're remodeling the house! We are your typical American family :). We are making it by from paycheck to paycheck, but when a holiday is thrown into the budget (which we really don't have) one needs to make priorities: Eat or buy gifts? Heat the house or send Christmas cards? Pay the water bill or plan a party? I think that the answer is pretty obvious - don't choose, get a second job! :)
So back I go to B's. Dave's second job is the house remodel (I need him to focus on this :)). So I don't mind me getting a second job and him not getting one for this reason. My first shift back was two Saturdays ago, and I have to admit that it was pretty fun. The whole grocery store has been remodeled in the past few months and it looks AMAZING now! So being there, in the newness of it all, was great. And to work with old friends was wonderful too! And getting tips - pretty good tips this day - didn't make it too difficult to go back. I thought to myself "I can do this, no problem"!
Last night was a different story (note: I am working on Thursday nights because Dave usually has band practice and on Saturdays from 8-3). First of all, I knew only one person out of the 8 working. And he used to be a cook and is now the supervisor (he did great! Mad props to him). But working with everyone else was hard. I used to be the one in control. I used to be the "big man on campus" even though I'm a woman and it's a restaurant. The people working now don't know me. They aren't going to take direction from me. I don't want to tick everyone off on my first night back. Ohhh, but I did want to lay the smack down a few times! And, on top of it all, they had me training! My trainee is very sweet, but needs much more training (she disagrees). She couldn't remember anything. And speed? Not in her vocabulary. I have to admit that I took a couple of tables without her because I just couldn't handle her anymore. I would go into the back pantry to get an order (because it was ready) and she would follow but be more concerned about getting a drink of her malt (tsk tsk) than get the order. FRUSTRATING.
All this to say that I have the "B's Blues". I miss all the people that I used to work with; the people that I knew well and loved. I miss Missy. I miss Angie. I miss Barb. I miss FRED. I miss Holly. I miss both Sarahs (never thought that I would say that). I miss Mario. I miss so many people. And, I miss being able to boss people around (next week) ;).
So this post is for them, my friends. I MISS YOU! COME BACK!!!!!! :)
4 comments:
I too love Christmas, but props to you for actually doind something to surmount the cost! Hang in there!
Haha...I can so relate to this blog. I'm doing the second job thing too...grrr..
And my two sense on "bossy"...you are just great at organizing people!
Miss you!
I can't wait to see you tonight (I hope!), Jess! Thank you for saying that I am not bossy. YOU ROCK!
It's not "bossy" it's just that you're a natual leader. :o) I hear you with the whole christmas speed thing. And the cards and gift and cookies (Should anyone really spend a hundred dollars on cookie supplies?!?!) Good for you going back to byerly's. Have some chicken wild rice soup for me, ok? and maybe some Leann Chin's potstickers....I love those!
Post a Comment