Thursday, May 06, 2010

Nothing Says "I Love You" Like a Chunk of Wood

*Disclaimer...this post has been in the process for WEEKS now! Haven't wanted to be on the computer much after work. :)

Instead of giving each other the traditional gift of wood on our 5 year anniversary, we opted instead go on a weekend getaway! Without the kid! We went to Duluth, MN and stayed at the Cotton Mansion. It was wonderful.

Nolan stayed at Dave's parent's house for two nights. He did great! And we did great too. Our room had a queen-sized bed, so although we wanted blissful sleep, it wasn't as we dreamed it would be. We have a king-sized bed so whenever we travel and have to sleep in a smaller bed, it's difficult. We're not cuddlers. I have my side and he has his and if one of us creeps over the other's side you're sure to get kicked or asked rather harshly, "what are you doing!?". But the bed was comfy and the afternoon naps were great!
We went to Two Harbors on Saturday. We drove up scenic 61 from Duluth and ended up in Two Harbors for lunch. We also went to the store called Buddy's Mercantile. How can you not love a store that has "Mercantile" in the name? From the outside you'd think "dump", and, well, it wasn't the nicest place, but the owners, Buddy and his wife, were hysterical! They are in their early 80's and Buddy is a salesman! I left with jam and syrup, and if it weren't for Dave, I'd have wild rice, salsa and this little contraption that when you pull back the lid a fake mouse pops up! Yeah, he got me to fall for that. I jumped. If you're ever up that way, be sure to stop in. He'll tell you all about how in the past few years they got a computer and that they have 5 children (she only wanted two!) and that the best wild rice only takes 30 minutes to cook.

We played games at the mansion, went out to eat, shopped and headed back on Sunday. I can't believe that it was 2 weeks ago now!

Here's a look back at Dave and I over the 5 years we've been married and the almost 8 years we've been together!

This is the spring that Dave and I met. I invited him to a Twin's game "as friends".


This was probably winter of 2003 at my house. It was at one of the many parties my roomies and I had...yes, Mom, good 'ol Christian parties.
Just hanging out.
Disney World, 2003/2004, I'm pretty sure 2004.
Halloween 2004. Dave was a pirate and I the stranded maiden. We rented costumes that year. It was a blast! My roomies and I hosted the gathering.
The night we got engaged in Bellingham, WA.
Our wedding day...April 30, 2005.
At my brother's wedding, February, 2007.
June 9, 2009, the day after Nolan was born. Our first family photo!
I love you, honey! And I am so thankful for the 8 year's we've experienced life together. And I am so grateful for the 5 years of marriage and look forward to 50 more!

6 comments:

Lizzie said...

WRONG thats not my wedding.. you are not wearing a bridesmaid dress...

Emily said...

Very nice post Becky- loved all of the pictures! :) Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend away!

Mrs. Hawk said...

Lizzie - I changed it to Mark's! Oops! Same hair style...

LaDonna said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!! congrats on 5yrs!!

Jes said...

Why am I tearing up? Yes, I really am. Must be cuz I love you guys....great post! :)

Lean & Green Mama said...

how time flies! What a walk down memory lane those pictures were! LOVE YOU GUYS!!