I am craving some Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jennifer Knapp - something, anything not under the category "heavy metal", "hard rock", or "progressive rock".
See, my husband is a huge heavy metal fan. He grew up listening to Metallica, Suicidal Tendancies, White Snake, Dream Theater, Sabotage, Testament and Deliverance (just to name a few). He still has a huge collection of these bands and others, both Christian and non-Christian. And I did not grow up listening to this music. Sure, I liked groups that were played on the radio (Poison's "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" - anybody with me here?), but I was, and am, a pop girl. Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" is still a favorite!
Anyways...Dave and I have this unwritten rule. The person's car we're riding in gets to choose the music. In my car I have the radio on most of the time. In Dave's car we listen to CDs. This weekend we drove a lot to see friends and family and to run errands. And because Dave's car has better gas mileage, he drove. And we listened to metal. The whole time.
And he also just got a Dream Theater CD/DVD set. So, guess what we've been watching every night before going to sleep (hint: not reruns of "Everyone Loves Raymond")? Yup, Dream Theater. To be honest, Dave watches and I read, I mean I try to read. It's hard to read when your husband interrupts you to say "Did you hear that cool riff? Look at that guitar work - he's amazing!"
And - oh, it gets better - as you know, we're remodeling the house. So, the background music is - can you guess - hard rock/metal/progressive...yup, you're right! Okay, slight exaggeration here - but the music we're listening to is his choice because the radio is in the room he's working on and I'm all over the house. And, I usually don't like what he chooses.
Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is pretty good - especially the kind that is just musical and doesn't have vocals. But to hear it constantly for a whole weekend (and more) has really infiltrated my brain to the point that I KNOW some of the songs! to the point that I start singing Metallica's "Master of Puppets" in the shower! There is something seriously wrong with this people!
Sure, I could ask to listen to the radio in the car, but as stated earlier, unwritten rule will not amend for this. I could leave the room during the Dream Theater DVD, but it's my room too! (Plus, our living room is in disarray since we just got our hardwood floors done, so there really isn't anywhere for me to go) and yes, I could change the music when we're working on the house, but why bother. I love my husband and I guess this is just one way that I show that love. Plus, he really doesn't like my music and will make fun of it :).
But, I will admit, there are some CDs that he has that I had too (before we married), so some of our musical tastes are the same. But those CDs are few. I need to pull a few of those out and listen to them and soon! I am sick of singing "Hello Victoria" by Dream Theater...maybe I need to pull out a little NKOTB!
3 comments:
I cannot tell you how thrilled I was the read this post Becky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too love CCM, and all the 80's 90's music...Forever your girl..classic! My husband LOVES the hard stuff too and it makes me crazy. What's worse is now he's starting to turn my children. I came out of the house the other day and heard my van thumping. I opened the door and was almost blown backwards by the volume and bass that was coming from our van. And there they were, my four bog kids, screaming the lyrics and head banging. PLEASE send some Michael W. my way!!!
Thanks for the comment, Mandi! We need to become pop music pen pals!
NKOTB!! :)
Post a Comment