Monday, February 12, 2007

"Secret of Nimh"

I loved this movie growing up. I remember watching this and Footlooose pretty much every Saturday for a long period of time. I lost Nimh at some point, and kind of forgot about until recently.

Dave and I were shopping at Menards. They sell a limited selection of movies-usually older ones. We always look because you never know what you might find. So, one day, probably in November, we saw the Secret of Nimh.

"I LOVE THIS MOVIE!" I exclaimed. "This was one of my favorites growing up! I can't believe they have it here! We have to get it!"

"The case is broken," says Dave as he shakes it. I can clearly here pieces rattling around. "We can't get this one."

We tried looking for another copy, but there were none left. Sadly, we left the movie shelf and went and purchased something for the home improvement. I asked for Nimh for Christmas, but I didn't get it. But 2 weeks ago we were at another Menards and they have a larger movie section. So, as always we checked it out. And there it was. Not just one, but many copies! I snatched it up, threw it in the cart and off we went.

Last night we watched it. Dave thought it was boring (although I did hear him chuckle a few times), but I loved it! I remembered everything as I watched...but not what was to come...does that make sense? It's funny though, how I picked things up now, that I don't know if I really knew or understood then. NIMH stands for "National Institute for Mental Health". Weird. And there was this rat that kept talking to a dead mouse through a necklace...yes, weird, but the rest of the story was good. I may not have liked it as much if this was the first time I saw it, but the fact that it was from my past, made it all the better.

I love when good things from the past meet you in the present.

5 comments:

Jes said...

I have never heard of or seen this movie but am now intrigued. I many have to check it out sometime...It is fun to come across things from childhood that are particularly meaningful. That was how I felt when Strawberry Shortcake came back to life a few years ago after being taken off the shelves.

Felecia said...

It sounds familiar (maybe not the dead mouse thing) but I should refresh my memory by peeking on-line for it. For me, the movies would be Annie, Karate Kid(s) and Laberynth. Ahhh... it's fun to look back isn't it?

Mindy said...

I saw part of this movie on TV receintly. I don't remember watching it....You know waht I do remember from your house? Playing that Nintendo Track and Field game. That was fun. :o)--Laberynth. I SO wanted to be that girl hunting for her baby brother! Thanks for the flashback, Beck

Mrs. Hawk said...

Laberynth...don't remember that one, but I loved Annie so much that I wanted to be an orphan when I grew up!

Track & Field...those were the days! Ha ha!

Misty said...

Nearly a month later I had to comment. My daughter's book club just did this book and then, at the end of the session, they watched the movie. Every kid HATED it... They (the 7 year olds) actually said the words "it's very dark." I had read this post but as soon as i heard the reports, knew I had to tell you the modern day, second grade opinion.